Are you a Hipster?

As far as I know, hipsters are those creatures with man buns. No one ever calls himself a hipster. Other people call you that. I think 80% of Humboldt would qualify as hipster which makes the term meaningless. The other 20% would be the low-information/Trump voters.

People have been trying to define hipsters since Norman Mailer wrote about The White Negro back in the ‘Fifties.  Now a new survey has pointed out Sacramento as being the 4th most hip city in the country. Number  One?  Hoboken, which has apparently come along way since Frank Sinatra grew up there a century ago.

Read about it HERE.

Motel Six Under Heat In Sac

Eureka is not the only town to have problem motels but the cast of characters changes. The Sac Bee recently reported that the Motel 6 chain is being told by the City of Sacramento to clean up its act. The story is HERE.

Sacramento has had other problem lodging situations.  The venerable Red Lion/Sacramento Inn complex near Arden Fair, where many of our local State workers were sent for training over the years, nosedived so badly into a dangerous and unsavory place that it was recently slated to be demolished.

In Eureka, the Motel 6 has not been a problem.   It was not included on the list of “problem”  properties that were tabulated by the Lost Coast Outpost as using a disproportionate share of the city’s resources for trouble calls etc in January of this year. Those properties were: Blue Heron Lodge (now closed), Chin’s Motel, Pine Motel, McCullens Motel, Broadway Motel, Budget Motel, Christie’s Motel, the Royal Inn, the Flamingo Motel and the Serenity Inn.  I’ve had friends and relatives stay at the Motel 6 in Eureka and they thought it was fine, for the no-frills price.

The Motel 6 chain is noted, of course, for its dog-friendly policies. I’ve stayed at the Motel 6 in Santa Rosa – because of the dog- near Coddingtown and it was fine, nothing fancy but definitely safe.  What a shame that the situation in Sacramento deteriorated so badly.  People need clean,  safe lodging at a reasonable price.

END

Tower Bridge Fundraiser Sells Out In 15 Seconds

Sacramento’s Tower Bridge is the venue for a farm-to-fork dinner coming up on September 27 which sold out nearly 700 tickets in 15 seconds. That can happen with online fundraising.  Ticket prices ranged from $175 to $625, and the Sac Convention & Visitors Bureau’s CEO was heard wishing he had a bigger bridge to work with.

Now I’m NOT for one minute suggesting we have a dinner on the Samoa Bridge. People would be shivering so hard the structural integrity would be threatened.  But I think the concept of using an unlikely venue is a great one.  Isn’t everyone tired of the Wharfinger? Everyone is tired of seeing men traipse around in high heels, too. It stopped being funny about forty years ago when women quit wearing them. 

We have some great possibilities here.  The Timber Heritage Society has rolling stock at Samoa that could be used for excursion runs to Eureka. What about the recently closed fire station near Myrtle/West? Everyone loves fire stations. For that matter, what about the OLD fire station on J Street near Eureka High? That is a really neat building inside. Maybe you could charge for giving people a chance to slide down the pole. Hey, I’m trying. 

My point is, before you plan another pancake breakfast or car wash, think about our unique resources and use them as intelligently as the folks in Sac have done. They’re just like us, except they have more money. 

END

A New Way To Fly?

An interesting development is reported by the Sacramento Business News.  Surf Air, a private membership airline headquartered in Santa Monica and flying out of the old McClellan AFB,  is flying round-trips between Santa Rosa, Hawthorne and San Carlos beginning next month, and will add service between Monterey and Hawthorne and San Carlos in July.  On August 24,  they’ll begin round-trips between McClellan and Hawthorne, San Carlos and Santa Barbara. Then in November they’re adding service between Palm Springs and Burbank and Oakland.

A private airline? Affordable?? Well, maybe.  Surf Air’s customers pay a flat monthly fee starting at $1750 for membership and unlimited flights.  If you’re doomed to fly more than three or four times a month, it starts looking downright reasonable.  Add in the sheer pleasure of not having to deal with the major airlines and…well, I’d sure like to try it.

In another development, Pen Air, which is supposed to start service beween Crescent City and Portland later this year, is making nice with the Redding airport folks and has been heard to say they are interested in flying out of AVC.  We’ll see. Stay tuned. 

END