Here’s Amy Klobuchar’s “hot dish” or “Casserole” recipe.. Hot Dish suppers are legendary in Midwestern politics and the recipes tend to be a little vague. The NYT reported it this way.
- 1 to 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Onion, small
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 package Tater Tots
- Brown the ground beef, then drain off the fat. Sauté the onions and garlic. In a large bowl, mix together beef, onions, garlic, both cans of soup, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Cover with about ½ the shredded cheese, then place tater tots in one layer over the entire pan.
- Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, or until tater tots are crisp. Cover with remaining cheese and bake until cheese melts.
WE MADE THIS AND WE LOVED IT! Next time I’d sub in ground pork or sausage for the GB but it was great!. Let me know how you like it.